International Students

College of Saint Mary welcomes and is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students from outside the United States. Persons on or seeking an F Visa (Academic Student) are required to submit the following:

  • International student application form.
  • Non-refundable application charge.
  • Complete certified copies of records from all secondary schools, colleges and universities attended. These records must be translated into English by a recognized evaluation service. A general report is acceptable for proof of education equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma. Comprehensive course-by-course official evaluation of education records required for postsecondary courses.
  • Certificate of Financial Responsibility (to be sent directly to the University from the applicant’s bank). The I-134, Affidavit of Support must be submitted for visa applicants that have sponsorship. The Affidavit of Support is available at
  • Student must meet the following language requirements: a score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) or a score of 4 or above on the Test of Written English (TWE), or completion of Level 9 at an ESL Language Center.
  • CSM English placement test or transfer of English Composition with a “C” or better.
  • International students earning admission to CSM will receive from Enrollment Services Post-Admission Admission Steps. These include the following:
    • Complete the International Student Declaration of Finances.
    • Provide official bank documents and statements in U.S. dollars and in English.
    • Provide a copy of your passport.
    • Indicate if you plan to bring a spouse and/or other dependents.
    • The Registrar’s Office may request further information to process Form I-20.
  • Tuition and Costs: International students must demonstrate the financial resources necessary to support the balance of the annual expenses of full-time undergraduate tuition and room & board after subtracting the CSM institutional awards. The balance for each semester must be paid in full prior to arriving to campus for residential students or prior to the first day of classes for students outside of the housing requirement.
  • After receiving the I-20, international students must pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) charge (Form I-901). This must be submitted before going to the U.S. Embassy or consulate for visa interview.
  • Proof of health insurance in the United States, including Repatriation of remains coverage.
  • Tuberculosis Test (TB test) upon arrival is required of students from locations with an increased incidence of TB that are identified by the ACHA. The list of countries can be found here. Any student with a positive TB test must undergo chest radiography and a medical exam, and follow treatment recommendations according to the results.
  • Testing should be conducted in the United States, no sooner than 3-6 months prior to university entrance and should be completed by the beginning of first semester.
  • Cost associated with the tests are student’s responsibility.
  • Students must provide accurate immunization records.

NOTE: International students are urged to apply for admission six months to a year before they plan to attend.

It is especially critical that international students have access to health care services in the United States, since it may be impossible for an international student to travel to her home country in the event of a health emergency due to illness or accident. Accordingly, the University requires that all international students be covered by a health insurance plan that will pay for health care services rendered by health providers in the United States, as well as covering repatriation of remains back to the international student’s home country in case of death. International students may meet this requirement by:

  • Providing the University a certificate of insurance coverage evidencing coverage for health care services rendered in the United States. Such certificate shall be a condition of admission to the University. The certificate must identify the duration of the insurance coverage (e.g. beginning and ending dates of coverage). If coverage expires while the student is attending the University, a new certificate of insurance must be provided in the same manner to the Student Development Office, or the student will not be allowed to register for classes in subsequent semesters.
  • Companies who provide this type of insurance include: